Wednesday, May 6, 2015

A Day In Our Shoes : Part 1

As promised, I am here to fill you in on all of the fascinating details of our life on the road. ;)  My computer has stopped playing '80s music in the background (sorry Debb, but I COULD NOT TAKE IT!) so now I can concentrate.  Now I have Pandora playing The Piano Guys in my ear buds, so I feel relaxed and inspired! :-P

Hmmmm, where to start? 

Typical Week on the Road
Sundays : 2-3 church services and all of the travel in between
Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays : We'll call these a "typical work day"
Wednesdays : usually also a typical work day,
but occasionally we'll have a church service in the evening
Fridays : Day off / Family day
Saturday : usually a travel day, but occasionally is either a work day or day off
(if we had a concert or traveled on Friday)

Typical Work Day
Note: Please keep in mind that we are not incredibly strict or consistent with our schedule. 
It is not uncommon for us to completely deviate from the "typical" on any given day.

 I am NOT a morning person. 
In our home, I get up before everyone else so that I can prepare my attitude for interaction with other human beings (i.e. drink coffee, read the Word, talk to Jesus). 
Caden and Josh are morning people,
but they stay in bed reading while I adjust to the fact that it is day again.
Noah is like his mama in that he also loves to sleep. 
(Although when he first wakes up, he is much nicer than I am when I first wake up)


We often stay in RV parks that are closer to a major city, sometimes even in town.  However, more often than not we find ourselves parked somewhere beautiful, like now.  This is my view from the front step of our trailer!  Our Creator is magnificent!

Once my coffee has had time to have effect and my heart is reminded of God's mercies which are new every morning, I wake up the troops (or allow them to get up) and they begin their day too.  The boys eat breakfast and do their chores while I shower and prepare for the school day.  Usually by mid morning, Josh has left for the office (see below) and we have set up shop at the table
and in Caden's bed.

With his power cord connected to the trailer, Josh gets his laptop and makes booking phone calls from the truck - his office.


The boys take turns sitting at the table with me
and sitting in Caden's bed to do their schoolwork.

By lunchtime, the boys are usually done with most of their schoolwork.  Josh comes in and we eat lunch together, then he goes back to the truck and if the weather allows I send the boys outside to play.  One of the other advantages to living at RV parks is that at least half of the time, their is a playground for them to enjoy.

After lunch I spend time reading, studying, and writing while the boys play. 


Yesterday I spent some time sitting by the river and brushing up on *cough* (learning about) World War II so I can teach my kiddos.

Sometime mid afternoon Josh comes into the trailer to practice guitar and I do any number of things (finish school with boys, grocery shop, do laundry, write, practice worship songs with Josh, etc...).  That's pretty much what the rest of our work day looks like.  Josh practices guitar throughout the afternoon and evening, works on finances for the ministry, or sends flyers and press releases.  Of course, that's if he's not repairing some aspect of our trailer plumbing
which seems to be necessary more often than we'd like.:(



 Well, there you have it.  Part 1 of A Day in Our Shoes.  Bored yet? ;) 

*Visit my new blog location at www.StillLearningToFollow.com *


1 comment:

  1. I love this new series of posts already! It is important for people to understand what it looks like to be a missionary day in and day out.

    Josh looks so happy in his office! Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete