Friday, August 8, 2014

thinking about our "why?"

We are all sick today.  Josh and I feel awful!  We're hacking and coughing, absolutely exhausted and wanting nothing more than to just curl up in bed and sleep.  Not today, though.  Today we drive...530 miles to be exact.  Between hauling the trailer, freeway construction, and too many pit stops for little bladders and hungry bellies, by the time we arrive at our RV park we will have been on the road for at least 12 hours.

As I look across the front seat of the pickup at my poor husband, my heart is full of pity and gratitude at the same time.  He looks awful...Don't get me wrong, I still believe he's the best looking man in the world, but with the two day stubble, the blood shot eyes, and the weariness on his face...well, he's seen better days.  

I'm so proud that he's mine.  That he would choose a day pulling our trailer over the comfort of his bed.  

I know I just painted a pathetic little picture, but lest I fall into the trap of throwing myself a pity party, let me clarify.  I know we've got it really good.  We have plenty of nice clothes, access to healthy food, our own comfortable safe little trailer, and a ministry that we absolutely love and is providing for the needs of our family so that we can give ourselves completely to this ministry God called us to.  We have family and friends who love us and pray for us faithfully.  Most importantly, we have a God who couldn't bear the thought of eternity without us so He sent His Son to pay the penalty for the sins that separated us from Him.  God made a way for us to be justified and sanctified.  He chose us to be His own children.  I could go on and on....We are blessed.

Sometimes though, life feels a bit overwhelming...Like today.  So as we drive and drive and drive, I find myself considering the "why" of what we do.  As I cough and I listen to Caden cough and Noah sniffle in the back seat, I ask myself what makes this worth it?  Why spend our sick days traveling instead of in the comfort of a home?
I don't have to think for long, though.  I know why.


It's because of Angel and his friends.


It's because of all of the children learning God's Word while they learn English.

It's because of all of our missionary friends and the Ignite interns.

It's because of the women washing their clothes in the square.


It's because of the people worshiping a far off god in a 500 year old church.


It's because it's something we can do, and God called us to do, and we want to do

...so we do

and I'm glad.

1 comment:

  1. I've been praying today especially, as I know you have a full plate. Looking forward to time with you all this week, and praying it gives you some much-needed rest and refreshment!

    ReplyDelete