Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Grieving with Hope!

"Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope." (1 Thess. 4:13 NIV)

"My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness; I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name.  On Christ, the Solid Rock, I stand; All other ground is sinking sand.  All other ground is sinking sand!"  ("My Hope is Built on Nothing Less by Edward Mote)

My Grandpa passed away this week.  It wasn't really a surprise.  I've visited him once a year for the past 5-6 years and ever time I said goodbye I knew it might be my last.  He was in his 90's and his health has been declining for a while.  Although, I have to admit there was a part of me that thought he might outlive us all!  Sometime in the early 1990's his doctor said not to expect him to live through the year.  But he always bounces back.  He lived by himself out in the country in southern Ohio.  He mowed his own grass and worked on his roof and there wasn't a stray cat in the county that didn't know exactly where to go for food, a warm barn to sleep in, and a kind hand to scratch between his ears. 

Grandpa lived a long life, loving his family and his God well!  He was kind and wise and patient!  He was an amazing storyteller and never forgot a name.  He remembered detailed stories about friends from his childhood and from his time serving in the war.  He knew the names of all of his many grandchildren and great grandchildren, even the ones he never met, and he loved each of them very much!

When I visited Grandpa earlier this year, I knew he wasn't well.  My aunt told me that he hadn't been able to leave the house for a couple of weeks.  Neighbors and family that lived nearby would come by to bring meals and to check on him, but most of the time he was alone -alone in the big farmhouse that I grew up visiting every summer.  The farmhouse where I played with Grandpa's cats, helped in the garden, and had tea parties in the living room while Grandma worked on her paintings in the next room.  When he answered the door, I could sense the emptiness in the house behind him.  Grandma has been in the nursing home for several years and the emptiness has grown and crept into all the corners of the house.  My heart was heavy as we passed through the kitchen where I use to help Grandma make instant sweet tea and johnny marzetti.

But then I saw it.  The image that will now forever be one of my favorite memories.  The scene I will see when I close my eyes to remember my Grandpa.  There on the kitchen table was Grandpa's Bible laying opened with a pen and notebook sitting next to it.  This is obviously where he had been when I had knocked on the door. 

Grandpa may have been lonely, but he knew he wasn't alone.  He was spending his morning with Jesus.

I imagine him at the table again with Jesus, but things are different now.   Now his joints don't creak when he sits down.  His eyes don't squint to read the small words on the page.  In fact, he doesn't even have to look at the page, he looks straight into the loving eyes of the Author.  Grandpa's breathing isn't labored and his bones don't hurt, while he chats with his Creator, Father, Savior and Friend.

My Grandpa was a light in this dark world!  He left a legacy of patient endurance and peaceful confidence.  He trusted His Jesus.  He waited patiently for the Lord and now He is home.

Grandpa is free and although I miss him dearly, mostly I'm just happy!  How could I not be?! 
"He will wipe every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain..." (Rev. 21:4 NIV)

I love you Grandpa!  I'm so glad you are home now!  I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment