Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Praying to have a heart like Paul

Note: I wrote this blog on Wednesday and intended to plug in the Scripture verses and finish the post in the evening.  Well, Wednesday evening I cut my finger badly on a blender blade and spent the night in the ER waiting for stitches.  I am just now remembering to post this.  Obviously much has happened since then, but typing without the use of my right middle finger (which is healing nicely but slowly) is very difficult so you will have to wait a while longer for a more recent update...

(Here is last Wednesday's post)

We have arrived in Bakersfield, California.  It was a busy week several days of travel which was interesting after having been stationary for five weeks.  Although we were very happy with the RV park we stayed in near Sacramento, we were all ready to move on.  It's so interesting to be at the place in our ministry where moving regularly feels more normal than staying put.  A few days before we left Noah asked Josh, "Dad, when are we leaving here."  Josh asked him why he wanted to know and his response was, "I just feel like it's time to move on." :)  This blessed me heart.  My boys have grown comfortable with our weird life and that makes this mommy so happy!

During our time of moving three times in the past week and a half, we had the blessing of sharing at a few new churches that we are excited to partner with in ministry in the future.  We also enjoyed some beautiful drives and an afternoon in Sequoia National Park, even seeing the largest tree (by mass) in the world.








 
 
Lately I have been reading 1 Thessalonians for my personal devotions and found myself churning for days on 1 Thess. 2: 3-9
 
3 For the appeal we make does not spring from error or impure motives,6 nor are we trying to trick you.7
4 On the contrary, we speak as men approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel.8 We are not trying to please men9 but God, who tests our hearts.10
5 You know we never used flattery, nor did we put on a mask to cover up greed11--God is our witness.12
6 We were not looking for praise from men,13 not from you or anyone else. As apostles14 of Christ we could have been a burden to you,15
7 but we were gentle among you, like a mother caring for her little children.16
8 We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God17 but our lives as well,18 because you had become so dear to us.
9 Surely you remember, brothers, our toil and hardship; we worked19 night and day in order not to be a burden to anyone20 while we preached the gospel of God to you.
 
 
I am working on memorizing these verses and have been praying them often.  This is the heart I desire to have in ministry.  I know this ministry God has called us to is a privilege.  It is his work we are doing and I want not just my actions, but also my heart, my motives, my thoughts, my attitudes to always be like that of Christ - sacrificing everything for the growth of the Kingdom.


No comments:

Post a Comment