Friday, June 26, 2015

Reading God's Word on the Porch

Yesterday, the boys and I did our Bible lesson on my in-law's front porch.  I sat on the swing with my Bible and binder and the boys sat on chairs across from me with their Bibles in their laps.  They took turns reading from Genesis.  They tend to mumble when they read aloud, so I told them to speak up and speak clearly.  We started with Creation a few weeks ago and were reading about Abraham's servant bringing Rebekah for Isaac.

At some point as the boys read aloud with no fear or shame or hesitation, images from my Voice of the Martyrs magazine came into my mind and I began to wonder..."How long?  How long will my boys be able to read their Bibles in public without fear?" 

I don't mean to be a doomsdayer.  I am not one to predict the future or worry about such things...but I do wonder.

In the meantime, I pray for my boys to grow in courage.  I pray that they will truly love the Lord their God will all of their hearts, souls, and minds.  I pray that they will not be ashamed of the Gospel of Christ because it is the power of God that brings Salvation!  I pray that they will love and give and share and forgive and speak Life!  I pray that they will know and believe Truth to the very core of their being.  I pray that God will use them in a mighty way for His kingdom.  I pray that if ever faced with a choice, that they will choose to stand - that they will not cower but will claim Jesus with pride! 

And as a mama, I pray that God will have mercy on them and me.  I pray for their safety, for a hedge of protection around them.

"Almighty God, Creator of the Universe, Giver and Sustainer of life, You alone are God!  Teach my boys to love you!  Grip their hearts and hold tight all of their days.  May they love you more and follow you better than I.   May they run the race you have called them to and finish well."

1 comment: