Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Guatemala Day 2

So Much Fun!!!  Oh my goodness, I don't know how else to describe today.  It was long, busy, and exhausting....but SO MUCH FUN!!!  I am certain today we were spoiled as most mission trips are much more difficult.  I will say, I am BEAT!  My feet and ankles are killing me, but the joy in my heart greatly dulls the pain!

We woke up this morning and after breakfast headed to the PFM Center.  Josh and I lead worship for the Ignite chapel.  We have lead worship for Ignite interns 4 times now, and every time I am so humbled.  The deep heartfelt worship coming from young adults who have left their home, abandoned any personal plans or ambitions to give Jesus one year in complete service on the foreign mission field is awe inspiring and humbling.  What a privilege!  And let me say, although the PFM Center is beautiful  and in a fairly safe community, these interns work their....rear ends off all day.  They are either in intense Bible study and teaching or serving.

After chapel, we went with two vans full (read - MORE THAN FULL) of PFM staff to a public school where the interns who are deployed in Guatemala teach English classes 4 days a week.  Today, after their classes, Pastor Michael did a Gospel presentation with his pottery demonstration.  Josh played a few songs during part of the presentation.
~ A little bit of info about these English classes : PFM interns teach at four different schools for several hours each morning.  One of the interns said that altogether she teaches 300 students each week.  God supernaturally opened the door for this ministry!  That's a whole other story.  What I wanted to share though is that PFM has been very upfront about being a Christian organization.  Up to this point, the schools have allowed PFM to use Bible verses in their English classes but no Gospel presentation.  PFM has been praying for God to grow these seeds that are planted.  However, today was the first time that a school had allowed us to do an evangelical presentation!  Praise the Lord!  So exciting to be even a small part of that!




When this school outreach was finished, we headed back to the center for lunch.

After lunch was our Potter's Field Kids club.  Kids from all over the city come to the center!  We provide a meal and the kids just hang out and play for a while.   There were about 50 or so kids running around and it was so much fun to play with them.  Caden and Noah did a fantastic job getting to know and playing with other children.  Caden has perfected "Como te llama?" and "Me llamo Caden." and "Jesus Christo te ama (Jesus loves you!)  My sweet boy is a little missionary.  Noah also made a real effort to participate and be friendly, which is a little more intimidating for him.


At Kids Club we played Red Light Green light and a few different forms of tag.  Oh my goodness, I ran and ran and ran and I don't remember the last time I laughed as much as I did today.  It was a blast!  The kids are desperate for love and they attach themselves to you with very little effort.
 This little boy challenged me to a race during Red light Green light....He won....several times :)



After games we gathered together and sang a bunch of super fun songs in spanish with motions.  I have no idea what we were singing, but the dancing was hilarious.  The kids loved it...and so did I! :)  Then we gathered in a circle and sang a couple more mellow worship songs in Spanish and then English.

Then kids divide into age groups and there is opportunity for a little more one on one interaction with the kids.  Then they gather together for a Bible story/Gospel presentation.

This all takes about 2 hours.  Afterwards the kids are dismissed but invited to hang around and play in the field for a while.  Josh played soccer with a bunch of the older boys for a while and I spent some time chatting with some of the interns.

The rest of the afternoon/ evening was spent getting to know the PFM leadership better.  We came back to our hotel a little earlier this evening as we are all exhausted.  I'm not certain what tomorrow holds, but I can't wait! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment