Monday, May 5, 2014

I Love You Too!



Recently I listened to a devotional by Beth Moore.  In it she talked about how the enemy takes advantage of times when she is very exhausted and he tempts her with words of accusation.  Satan reminds her of sins of her past and she becomes overwhelmed by feelings of discouragement.  After a particularly grueling speaking engagement, she arrived home feeling broken and found herself weeping and asking God why he loves her so much.  She spoke in the devotion about God’s response to her.  God told her that until she could get it through her head that He loves her because He is love, she was not to ever tell God “I love you”, but instead He wanted her to say “I love you too!”

Isn’t that beautiful!?!  1 John 4:16,19 says, “And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.  God is love.  Whoever lives in love, lives in God, and God in him…We love because he first loved us.”  We can never love God without He having first loved us! 

Yesterday, I was overwhelmed by God’s sweet tender kindness toward me!  I was struggling with discouragement.  Josh and I are so excited about what God is doing in and through Potter's Field Ministries!  God brought them into our lives in such an amazing way that there is no denying it was His hand.  We are privileged and beyond grateful that we get to partner with them.  However, the first couple of times that we have shared about Potter's Field, we have not had the enthusiastic response we've hoped for.  Now, there are plenty of logical reasons why.  First of all, we've only shared three times so we're still learning how best to communicate about PFM.  Second, each of the times we've shared it has been for a very, very small group.  Nevertheless, I was disappointed and full of doubt.  

I have also been feeling really insecure in my own overall ability to share anything of value at our concerts.  The enemy has been having a "hay day" with me and I'm sad to admit that I've allowed him to really beat me down.

Yesterday, Josh and I spend a long time talking and praying about God's direction for our ministry.  We continue to feel super enthusiastic about Potter's Field and are excited to share with others the opportunity to be a part of that ministry, but we were still feeling a little discouraged about whether we could actually be successful in inspiring the same enthusiasm in others.

Last night, we arrived at our concert and the first thing we saw were large signs for Compassion International's Compassion/Sponsor a Child Sunday.  Now, don't get me wrong!  I don't know a lot about Compassion, but I believe it to be a great organization!  I know they're doing amazing things for hurting children all over the world and I think that's wonderful.  However, Josh and I both felt that if the church was in the middle of a Compassion "campaign", it wouldn't be respectful to introduce another ministry that has some similarities.  I was so disheartened.  We didn't even bring in our PFM pamphlets for our table.

Well, God had other plans!  Through a "random" conversation, Josh ended up telling the pastor about Potter's Field before the concert.  I walked up in the middle of the conversation and joined in sharing some additional details and my own uncontainable excitement...The pastor was so excited about what we told him that he asked me to please share about PFM at the concert.  He also requested that I come do a presentation on Sunday morning during their service AND he intends to talk to the church mission board next week to see how they can get behind the ministry as a church!!!  

Let me tell you, I walked away last night feeling so very, very loved by my Father.  He saw my discouragement and poured out great mercy and kindness.  "Oh, Lord, your love is beyond my understanding.  Thank you for loving me.  Thank you for your compassion and your concern for every aspect of my life....I love you too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment